Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
at Augusta, Georgia
Responds to emergency calls to provide efficient and immediate care to the critically ill and injured, and to transport the patient to a medical facility within the guidelines of supervisory instructions, NFPA federal and state laws, local ordinances, building codes, and County and department rules, regulations, policies, and procedures. Reports to the Paramedic, Battalion Chief, or other designated person and works with co-workers, fire and emergency victims, law enforcement personnel, and the public to protect the lives and property of citizens.
- PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Responds to emergency calls to provide efficient and immediate care to the critically ill and injured and to transport the patient to a medical facility as outlined by state law and local Medical Director.
- Performs patient assessment, basic life support, administers first aid and/or CPR and additional care if deemed necessary.
- Performs communication with dispatch, keeps dispatch informed and if necessary, requests additional assistance or special rescue.
- Prepares reports and completes medical/patient reports and provides/assists training
- Inspects assigned apparatus and equipment; cleans and performs routine maintenance on same. Cleans and sterilizes the interior of the ambulance. Restocks all supplies.
- Performs housekeeping, building maintenance, and ground keeping duties.
Responds to emergency calls to provide efficient and immediate care to the critically ill and injured within the guidelines of supervisory instructions, NFPA federal and state laws, local ordinances, building codes, and County and department rules, regulations, policies, and procedures.
- MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS
Education: High School diploma or GED
Experience: One (1) year as an Emergency Medical Technician Advance or Intermediate
Age: Must be at least 21 years of age
- Considerable knowledge of emergency medical technician skills and rescue techniques, equipment, and hazardous materials
- Familiarity with local, state, and federal fire codes, NFPA guidelines, departmental and County rules, regulations, policies, and procedures, and local geography, streets, buildings, and fire hydrant locations
- Proficiency in building construction and basic mechanics, recognizing potential fire hazards, and interpersonal relations
- Mastery of first aid and CPR
- Demonstrated ability to work independently
- Excellent communication skills both written and oral
- Strong supervisory skills
- Strong people skills
Certification: Must have Georgia EMT Advance or Intermediate certification. Must maintain a certain number of continuing education credits every year in order to maintain certification. Must obtain Emergency Vehicle Operators Course (EVOC) certification within 12 months of hire.
Licensing: Possession of a valid driver's license with good driving history. If State license is other than Georgia or South Carolina, applicant must obtain a license in Georgia or South Carolina within 30 days of employment. *This position requires driving a county vehicle*
This position does require staff call up in an emergency situation.
This position does require travel.
- Data Utilization: Requires the ability to review, classify, categorize, prioritize, and/or analyze data. Includes exercising discretion in determining data classification, and in referencing such analysis to establish standards for the purpose of recognizing actual or probably interactive effects and relationships.
- Human Interaction: Requires the ability to work with and apply principles of persuasion and/or influence over others to coordinate programs or activities of a project, and resolve typical problems associated with the responsibilities of the job.
- Equipment: Requires the ability to operate, maneuver and/or control the actions of equipment, machinery, tools, and/or materials used in performing essential functions.
- Verbal: Requires the ability to utilize a wide variety of reference and descriptive data and information.
- Math: Requires the ability to perform addition, subtraction, multiplication and division; ability to calculate decimals and percentages; the ability to utilize principles of fractions and the ability to interpret graphs.
- Functional Reasoning: Requires the ability to apply principles of rational systems; to interpret instructions furnished in written, oral, diagrammatic, or schedule form; and to exercise independent judgment to adopt or modify methods and standards to meet variations in assigned objectives.
- Situational Reasoning: Requires the ability to exercise judgment, decisiveness and creativity in situations involving the evaluation of information against sensory, judgmental, or subjective criteria, as opposed to that which is clearly measurable or verifiable.
- Physical Abilities: Tasks require the ability to exert heavy physical effort in heavy work, with greater emphasis on climbing and balancing, but typically also involving some combination of stooping, kneeling, crouching, and crawling, and the lifting, carrying, pushing, and/or pulling of moderately heavy objects and materials (20-50 pounds); may occasionally involve heavier objects and materials.
- Sensory Requirements: Some tasks require the ability to perceive and discriminate colors or shades of colors, sounds, odor, depth, texture, and visual cues or signals. Some tasks require the ability to communicate orally.
- Environmental Factors: Performance of essential functions may require exposure to adverse environmental conditions, such as dirt, dust, pollen, odors, wetness, humidity, fumes, smoke, temperature and noise extremes, hazardous materials, fire, unsafe structures, heights, confined spaces, traffic hazards, bright and dim lights, toxic agents, animal and wildlife attacks, animal and human bites, explosives, or rude and irate customers.
The preceding job description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees to this job.