Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
at Augusta, Georgia
Responds to emergency calls to provide efficient and immediate care to the critically ill and injured, and to transport the patient to a medical facility within the guidelines of supervisory instructions, NFPA federal and state laws, local ordinances, building codes, and County and department rules, regulations, policies, and procedures. Reports to the Battalion Chief or other designated person and works with co-workers, fire and emergency victims, law enforcement personnel, and the public to protect the lives and property of citizens.
- PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Responds to emergency calls to provide efficient and immediate care to the critically ill and injured and to transport the patient to a medical facility as outlined by state law and local Medical Director. Uses technical equipment, including ventilators to assist breathing, and defibrillators to treat heart failure in order to resuscitate and stabilize patients. Carries out certain surgical procedures when necessary, such as intubation. Administers intravenous drips, drugs, and oxygen.
- Performs patient assessment, basic life support, administers first aid and/or CPR, and additional care if deemed necessary.
- Performs communication with dispatch, keeps dispatch informed and if necessary, requests additional assistance or special rescue.
- Prepares reports, completes medical/patient reports, and provides/assists training.
- Inspects assigned apparatus and equipment; cleans and performs routine maintenance on same. Cleans and sterilizes the interior of the ambulance and restocks all supplies.
- Performs housekeeping, building maintenance, and ground keeping duties.
POSITION SPECIFIC RESPONSIBILITIES MIGHT INCLUDE:
- Responds to emergency calls to provide efficient and immediate care to the critically ill and injured within the guidelines of supervisory instructions, NFPA federal and state laws, local ordinances, building codes, and County and department rules, regulations, policies, and procedures.
- MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS
Education: High School diploma or G.E.D.
Experience: No experience required, however must possess Georgia Paramedic certification.
Age: Must be 21 years of age.
- Considerable knowledge of emergency medical technician skills and rescue techniques, equipment, and hazardous materials.
- Familiarity with local, state, and federal fire codes, NFPA guidelines, departmental and County rules, regulations, policies, and procedures, and local geography, streets, buildings, and fire hydrant locations.
- Proficiency in building construction and basic mechanics, recognizing potential fire hazards, and interpersonal relations.
- Mastery of first aid and CPR.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently.
- Excellent communication skills both written and oral.
- Strong supervisory skills.
- Strong people skills.
Certification: Must have Georgia Paramedic certification. Must maintain a certain number of continuing education credits every year in order to maintain certification. Must obtain Emergency Vehicle Operators Course (EVOC) certification within 12 months of hire.
Licensing: Possession of a valid driver's license with good driving history. If State license is other than Georgia or South Carolina, applicant must obtain a license in Georgia or South Carolina within 30 days of employment. *This position requires driving a vehicle*
This position does require staff call up in an emergency situation.
This position does require travel.
Depending upon area of assignment: Positions in this class typically require: walking, standing, bending, stooping, pushing, pulling, lifting, fingering, grasping, feeling, talking, hearing, seeing and repetitive motions.
Must be physically able to operate a variety of equipment, machinery including a computer, and radio/communication equipment. Exerting up to 100 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 50 pounds of force frequently, and/or negligible amount of force constantly to move objects.
Disclaimer: The preceding job description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees to this job.