Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
at Baltimore County
To apply for this position, you MUST possess one of the following certificates:
- Maryland Emergency Medical Technician-Paramedic certificate; or a
- Maryland Cardiac Rescue Technician certificate; or a
- National Registry Paramedic Certificate; or a
- National Registry Emergency Medical Technician Intermediate/99 certificate
In order to be hired as a Paramedic, you MUST:
- Pass a skills test;
- Pass the physical ability examination;
- Pass the panel oral interview;
- Complete a comprehensive background investigation; and
- Pass a physical, medical, and psychological examination, including a drug test
- Abstain from the use of tobacco products throughout their employment.
Applicants will automatically receive a system generated email confirmation when their application has been submitted.
Applicants are also REQUIRED to submit proof of one of the above certificates to the Office of Human Resources. Proof of certificate must be submitted with each application.
A copy of your certificate may be attached to this application. Copies may also be mailed or hand-delivered to:
Office of Human Resources
308 Allegheny Avenue, Towson, MD 21204
- Examples of Duties
Under general supervision, provides basic and advanced life support to sick, injured or convalescent persons.
- Performs basic and advanced life support measures, including invasive procedures, and other emergency medical care to sick, injured or convalescent persons at the site of the incident and en-route to the hospital or other destination.
- Administers medications intravenously, intramuscularly, subcutaneously and orally.
- Commands a medic unit.
- Evaluates electrocardiograms and performs emergency and non emergency moves at the scene.
- Uses patient carrying devices and transfers patients to the ambulance. Subdues violent patients.
- May drive ambulance, using knowledge and skill in driving to avoid sudden motions detrimental to patients.
- Uses light duty rescue equipment when necessary.
- Prepares and maintains logs and reports.
- Maintains ambulance, medic unit, first aid equipment, and living quarters.
- Participates in specialized training courses.
- Assists in cleaning and maintaining quarters and station grounds to provide a safe and pleasant working environment for station personnel.
- Assists in the saving of lives and property and in extinguishing fires.
- Operates firefighting and rescue equipment.
- Participates in drills and other training activities.
Examples of Other Duties
Performs other related duties as required.
(NOTE: The duties and responsibilities listed above are for the purpose of determining a common set of minimum qualifications for all positions in this class. They may not include all of the essential job functions of each position in the class. Each position may not be required to perform all of the essential job functions listed.)
Possession of a high school diploma or an appropriate equivalent
possession of a Maryland Emergency Medical Technician-Paramedic, Maryland Cardiac Rescue Technician, National Registry Paramedic Certificate, or a National Registry Emergency Medical Technician Intermediate/99 certificate.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities (Entry Level)
- the principles and practices of basic and advanced life support.
- the principles and practices of emergency medical care.
- the use and care of emergency medical instruments and equipment.
- providing basic life support services.
- performing pulmonary and cardiopulmonary resuscitation.
- carrying and transporting patients.
- provide advanced life support, patient assessment, and injury treatment services.
- command a medic unit.
- prepare and maintain logs and reports.
- learn and follow County and departmental rules, regulations, and operating procedures.
- establish and maintain effective working relationships.
- act calmly and decisively in emergency situations.
- assist in fire suppression, fire prevention, and emergency rescue operations.
- operate departmental vehicles, apparatus, and equipment.
Persons appointed to this classification must be able to safely perform the duties of the position without posing a threat to the health or safety of themselves or others. After accepting an appointment to a position within this classification, all candidates will be required to pass a physical examination.
Persons appointed to this classification must be of good moral character and emotionally stable as determined by a comprehensive background investigation and a drug test.
Licenses and Certificates
Possession of a Maryland Emergency Medical Technician-Paramedic, Maryland Cardiac Rescue Technician, National Registry Paramedic Certificate, or a National Registry Emergency Medical Technician Intermediate/99 certificate is required at the time of application. Possession of a valid driver's license equivalent to a noncommercial, class C Maryland driver's license is required at the time of appointment.
Proof of Licenses, Certifications and Education
Applicants are required to submit proof of licenses, certifications and education beyond high school to meet the required and preferred qualifications of the position. Diplomas or transcripts must show the applicant's major field of study. Copies and unofficial transcripts are acceptable.
Failure to submit proof of Licenses and Certifications will result in your application not being considered.
Mail or deliver documents to:
Office of Human Resources
Baltimore County Government
308 Allegheny Ave.
Towson, MD 21204
You can attach your certification(s) or license(s) to your application.
Applicants will be qualified based on possession of a Maryland Emergency Medical Technician-Paramedic, Maryland Cardiac Rescue Technician, National Registry Paramedic Certificate or National Registry Emergency Medical Technician Intermediate/99 certificate.
The names of all applicants who submit a copy of the required certificate will be sent to the Fire Department for skills testing and further processing.
- Conditions of Employment
Employees who possess the National Registry Paramedic or National Registry Emergency Technician-Intermediate/99 certificate must obtain a Maryland Emergency Medical Technician-Paramedic or Maryland Cardiac Rescue Technician certificate before completion of the Fire Rescue Academy.
Physical and Environmental Conditions
The work of this classification entails the performance of heavy physical labor involving advanced life support services, emergency medical services, and fire suppression and rescue activities. Work requires exposure to potentially hazardous public safety activities.
Employees in this classification may be assigned to work on either a rotating or fixed shift basis, which will include nights, evenings, weekends, and/or holidays. Employees in this classification are subject to call to duty in emergencies, and may be required to work overtime with little or no notice.
Employees must maintain required licenses and certifications and be able to function in Baltimore County throughout their employment.
Medical Examination and Employment Background Investigation
Applicants selected for an appointment to a position in Baltimore County must successfully complete a physical examination and drug screen and an employment background investigation, including, but not limited to a criminal background, education, and fingerprint check.