City of Hopewell
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Firefighter / EMT
at City of Hopewell
Pay: up to $42597.8/year
$42597.8 - $
Job Status: Full Time
Job Reference #: 2617256
Categories: Healthcare - Paramedics/EMT's
Overall Job Objective
- Provides intermediate protective services work providing fire suppression and medical services to citizens, performs inspections, prevention, and public education on fire safety and hazardous materials, and related work as apparent or assigned. Work is performed under moderate supervision.
- Examples of Duties
- Responds to emergency calls and provides basic and advanced life support services; performs detailed subjective and objective patient assessments within established protocols, stabilization, and treatment; coordinates emergency care procedures with authorized emergency hospital staff.
- Responds to fire alarms and performs fire suppression, to include rescues, entry-ventilating, salvage work, hazardous materials incidents, and first response in emergency situations.
- Assists in hazardous materials identification and containment, cleanup, and decontamination.
- Participates in continuing training and instruction program via individual study of technical materials and attendance of scheduled drills and classes to maintain physical fitness and agility.
- Drives and/or operates various medical and fire apparatus; ensures that emergency vehicles are completely stocked and maintained in a safe and efficient operational condition; inspects, cleans, and maintains fire hose, pumps, hydrants, and related equipment.
- Performs station duties (i.e. fire apparatus, equipment maintenance and cleaning of station and grounds).
- Performs non-emergency public services such as smoke detectors installation, lockouts, water evacuations, assisting citizens, etc., as needed.
- Provides public safety education services to the community (makes presentations, gives station tours, speaks to outside groups and schools).
- Conducts fire safety site inspections, to include pre-planning, building and fire codes, and records.
- Typical Qualifications
Minimum Education and Experience:
- High school diploma or GED and moderate experience in fire suppression, rescue, emergency medical services, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- EMT-Basic and Firefighter I and II certifications (Virginia or Pro Board) upon hire.
- Obtain Advanced Life Support (ALS) within 2 years of hire (departments availability)
- Valid driver's license in the Commonwealth of Virginia with 0 or positive points.
- Must meet and maintain training and education requirements for position.
- Knowledge of firefighting equipment, apparatus and techniques.
- Knowledge of first aid, basic and advanced life support.
- Knowledge of hazardous materials, prevention and removal methods.
- Computer and technology skills.
- Preparing of detailed written/electronic instructions.
- Ability to endure physical and emotional challenges and to go without sleep for long periods of time.
- Ability to follow verbal and written instructions.
- Ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing.
- Ability to develop effective working relationships with internal and external customers.
- Must demonstrate the ability to think/act quickly in all situations.
- Supplemental Information
- Worker is exposed to outdoor weather conditions or extreme heat, heights, odors, noise, dust, fumes and hazardous materials.
- Stooping, crouching, walking, pulling, lifting, grasping, hearing, seeing up close, seeing far away, kneeling, reaching, pushing, talking, standing, finger movement, repetitive motions, depth perception.
- Typical weight handled: up to 75 pounds.