Divine Savior Healthcare
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Paramedic - Casual/Per Diem
at Divine Savior Healthcare
POSITION SUMMARY: Provides paramedic-level emergency medical care for patients and provides transport of patients to medical treatment facilities. Performs procedures utilizing intravenous fluids, drugs and advanced airways. May provide care within the facility under the direction of a physician, mid-level provider or RN within appropriate WI EMS scope of practice.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Transports and treats patients with life-threatening injury and illness in accordance with department policies, procedures and protocols.
- Provides emergency medical care in accordance with scope of practice.
- Assesses patient medical condition appropriately.
- Initiates intravenous lines and administers fluids as needed.
- Administers drugs for specific medical emergencies under the direction of medical control or by protocol.
- Performs various medical procedures under the direction of medical control or by protocol.
- Recognizes changes in signs and symptoms and promptly reports patients condition to other medical personnel.
- Follows the multidisciplinary plan of care/teaching plan to address patient needs.
- Documents according to established standards.
- Effectively and appropriately uses emergency equipment.
- Maintains vehicle equipment to ensure proper operating condition; reports any problems
- Provides at least 6 hours per month of on-call coverage.
- Performs delegated patient care tasks under the direction of the physician, mid-level provider or RN utilizing the appropriate WI EMS scope of practice as a guideline.
- Assures safe, therapeutic environment for patients, families, visitors and staff.
- Assists with ensuring that there is an appropriate level of inventory of supplies and equipment to meet the daily needs of the department. Assists with cleaning and maintaining equipment.
- Performs some clerical duties such as entering data into the patient reporting system, entering orders in the patient care record and answering phones.
- Assists in Code situations in the organization. Documents information as appropriate.
- Graduate of EMT-Paramedic program.
- Current EMT-Paramedic & CCEMTP licensure with the State of WI.
- Current American Heart Association BLS or American Red Cross CPR/AED for Professional Rescuers and Healthcare Providers Certification.
- Current American Heart Association ACLS & PALS Certifications. Non-certified employees must attain certifications within 180 days of employment in position. NALS Certification preferred.
- Must have valid Wisconsin Drivers License
- Reports directly to the EMS Captain on duty and the EMS Director.
- Works closely with staff from Emergency Department to provide direct patient care.
- Extensive contact with patients and their families, visitors and public.
- Work is performed largely outside the hospital environment with minimal chance for personal injury.
- Frequently works near moving mechanical parts.
- Frequently works in outside weather conditions and occasionally exposed to wet and/or humid conditions, fumes or airborne particles, toxic or caustic chemicals and risk of radiation. Hazards may include fast-moving vehicles when on the scene of an accident.
- Frequently works in confined spaces.
- Occasionally exposed to risk of electrical shock.
- Occasionally exposed to hazardous material such as needle punctures, blood and body fluids.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
- Frequently required to stand, walk, run, climb, balance, bend, twist, stoop, kneel or crouch.
- Occasionally required to sit.
- Required to use hands to handle or grasp objects, tools or controls.
- Frequently lift and/or move up to 100 pounds of department supplies and equipment.
- Frequently may need to move patients of more than 100 pounds.
- Requires specific vision abilities for far vision, near vision, depth perception, colors, accommodation and peripheral vision.
- Vision correctable to 20/40.